Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Semi-Sweet White Table Wine and a Very Sweet White Dog

I uncorked the Whittenburg Semi-Sweet White as I went off on one tangent or another about the challenges of my new job. 

I let the wine breath for a few minutes, poured myself a glass, and took a sip. A warm, mellow flavor hit the center of my tongue, and the tartness of an apple draft cider tickled the tip of it.

The wine being more full-bodied than I'd expected, I relaxed, contentedly, sinking a little deeper into the slat-backed wooden chair. 

The first glass was a well-deserved pleasure after a frustrating day at work, and the second glass was pure indulgence. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a white wine as a standalone, without a food pairing. 

Peaceful Bend winery is on the Meremac River in Steelville, Missouri.

all photos by smalltowngirl

Two glasses in, I realized the dog was still outside from 20 minutes before. When I let her in, her muddy paws left footprints across the white quarry-tiled kitchen floor. The dog already in need of a bath, and me having already had two glasses of wine, the dog with little hope.

Into the kitchen sink she went, and any dignity the poor dog had disappeared...


It's the little things in life that make it good. A glass of local white wine and a clean white dog are all it took tonight to lift my heart up to a better place.

More pictures of the (dry) white dog.




2 comments:

Patti J. said...

Hahahaha! The very sweet white dog just loves to be clean! It is fun to watch her strut her stuff and run in circles when she's been bathed! lol

Anonymous said...

Cute dog!