Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Exes, cows, and Almondine

Almondine
DUMBO, Brooklyn
Photo by smalltowngirl

Among Brooklyn's most well-known eateries is Almondine, a patisserie in DUMBO known for it's baguettes and pastries.

When the ex-boy called to see if I wanted to get together one last time before my move, it seemed like a good opportunity to check out Almondine.

(@andrearosen gets a mini-credit for unintentionally inspiring this trip with a tweet this morning about Almondine's stuffed pretzels.)

The food was tasty. I had tomato and spinach soup, a grilled vegetable sandwich, and some sort of blue cheese that tasted great broken up into my mixed greens salad.

For desert, Jeff and I split a coffee and a fruit eclair that vaguely resembled a footlong sub, only in miniature and with fruit, not deli meat. As good as the real food was, the eclair kind of made me wish we'd just skipped lunch and gone straight for sharing deserts.

I can now cross Almondine off my NYC to-do, to-see, to-eat list. While I don't think that St. Louis is without good bakeries, I would guess that this one is a notch above, so the final score on Almondine:

NY = 1; MO = 0.


Empty coffee cups at Almondine
Photo by smalltowngirl

***

On the bright side, my ex doesn't live in Missouri, so I won't have to make decisions about whether to see him once I'm gone. Every time I see him it gets a little easier, but it's still awfully hard. On the ex-boy front, the score is:

NY = 0; MO = 1

***

As an addendum to the "I like your boots" story, I owe MO an apology for under-estimating its supply of cobblers.

My mother kindly informed me that my hometown has a large shoe repair and boot shop now. I no longer feel pressured to have my boots fixed before I leave town.

Thanks, Mom!
NY = 1; MO = 1

***

And, finally, I've been assuming that MO would get the cow credit over NYC. How wrong I was.

This photo, taken on our walk back from DUMBO today, is evidence that this midwest ain't the only cow country 'round these parts. Where cows, go, I'm sure rural MO will have more real ones, but I have to give NYC a point for trying...

NY = 1; MO = 1smalltowngirl with cow
Brooklyn, NY
Photo by the ex-boy

4 comments:

Patti J said...

OMG - LOVE the cow!!!! How cute is that! And, as always, I love your writings!

Anonymous said...

Yes, but does NYC have cows in the front yard of their high schools? I think 1 up to MO!

SmallTownGirl said...

Do you think the cows are still there? If so, that's gonna be one of my first photos back in town, lol!!

DFactor said...

There is a cow on my block 12st st btn 2nd and 3rd. Check it out.