Thursday, February 12, 2009

10 Days in Brooklyn

It's Lincoln's birthday, which means that it's a floating office holiday. I had to work for a few hours, but now it's time to enjoy a gorgeous day outside by stealing my own Shake Shack virginity, and taking a walk in Manhattan with my camera.

Countless people have asked me two questions over the last few days. The first of which is, "Why are you leaving New York?"

The people who ask this question are bewildered at the prospect of leaving The City (i.e. the only city, in their New York-centric perspective) for the rural midwest.

The second question is, "How are feeling about your move?"

I've answered the first question in my other blog.

The second question is actually the more interesting one.

I feel:
Numb
Nervous
Exhausted

I cannot:
Seem to get enough sleep
Take in enough of New York before I leave
Imagine not coming back

I can:
Live without hard goodbyes
Manage change in my life
Find the positive in any location, position, or situation

I've got a lot of stuff going on in my heart and my head. I have so many things to do in the next week that my feelings and thoughts are dominated largely by necessities like transition plans at work, logistics of moving 1030 miles away, and finding someone to take over my lease.

Following my afternoon adventure today, I think I should have photos and better stories to tell. For now though, I thought I needed to document the moment.

Speaking of the moment, it's 1:28 p.m.

1/28 is my birthday, 1:28 is my personal moment of the day, and though I don't generally subscribe to the concept of luck, 128 does seem to be the luckiest number I know.

On that note, it's off to Madison Avenue to have a burger and shake!

No comments: