Thursday, February 12, 2009

10 Days in Brooklyn, Part II

I had never walked up Broadway to 23rd street from Union Square, so I felt like I was on a mini-adventure, not sure what sat between 18th and 23rd along Broadway.

As I reached the southern edge of the park, I realized that I was less than a block away from the bar where the St. Louis Cardinals Fan Club in New York City meets to watch games.

Somewhat serendipitously, I had been reading an article on the train written for New York Magazine by Will Leitch (check out my other blog for thoughts on Will's article), who I met months ago for the first time during a Cards game that the fan club watched together at that same bar, across the street.

A gust of wind nearly knocked me down, but I persevered. As I made my way to the edge of the park, I saw the infamous Shake Shack, the holy grail of New York walk-up hamburger stands, sitting humbly beneath the barren winter trees.

Shake Shack, Washington Square Park
Photo by smalltowngirl

The unusually warm weather had brought a handful of other people out to eat a burger in the park. As I waited in line, I checked out the menu, which consisted of burgers, fries, shakes, sodas, concretes, beer and wine.

I ordered a Shake Burger (single patty, lettuce, cheese, and tomato), fries, and a black and white shake. (My days of having black and white anything are numbered).

I fought the wind as I ate my burger, resenting the cruelty of the woman who ran laps around the park and past the Shake Shack with her little white dog in shoes (red ones, with velcro. They were disgustingly cute). As if I didn't already feel guilty about eating a burger, fries and shake for lunch...

Continuing with the ongoing MO vs. NY theme, I think it's important to rate Shake Shack against Missouri drive-in burger joints. Here's the verdict:

1. The burger was good, but the Shake Shack rage is totally New York-centric. If I brought a friend visiting from the midwest to Shake Shake, I'm almost positive they'd be disappointed.
MO = 1; NY = 0


2. The black and white shake made me happy, and is flavor that's easy to find in the Bible Belt.
MO = 0; NY = 1


3. The fries left something to be desired.
MO = 1; NY = 0


In Summary: NY burger + Shake stand doesn't hold up to my farm girl standards for what ground beef, dairy, and fried potatoes are capable of. Missouri wins this match 2 to 1.

***

Continuing my adventure, I made my way back downtown for a stop off at one of my favorite stores, Fishs Eddy.

Fishs Eddy carries some of the most affordable, quirky and clever dishes in the city. My stop off there today was further evidence of New York's downward turning retail landscape. Fishes Eddy is going out of business.

On the bright side, this is one less thing I'll have to miss about New York City. I also have to admit that the going out of business signs outside the store were just as clever as the great finds inside the store:

Finally, Fishs Eddy's loss is my gain, because I....


scored these snazzy new...

Brooklyn glasses for my future kitchen...
I picked up eight of them, and am debating the purchase of four more. I heart Brooklyn, and I'll miss Brooklyn.

***
The last stop on my adventure was at the Strand bookstore. The Strand is quite possibly the best bookstore in New York, and with it's cozily cramped aisles, low prices, and great selection of new, used, and reviewer copy books, I have to give New York some credit. I'll miss this place.

***

Finally, and then I'm going to crawl into my bed and fall fast asleep, I'd like to pay homage to the man who made my adventures possible today, one former US President, Mr. Abraham Lincoln. I stopped by his statue in Union Square to give him a moment of respect. Happy birthday, Abe.



***

Addendum: while I said I was going to sleep after the Lincoln homage, I have to document the hacking cough of my downstairs neighbor. May it please be noted that sick, noisy neighbors don't help New York City's score in this ongoing debate of states:
MO = 1; NY 0

1 comment:

Patti J said...

Mmm...the black and white shake sounds a teensy bit sinful??? Would love to try one someday! Road trip???