Friday, March 27, 2009

The Gift in My Mailbox

As I sat huddled over my Mac, creating a last-minute ad that was already three hours past deadline, writer's block muddled my brain and my half-baked InDesign skills inspired prayers that I never find myself without a capable graphic designer on staff.

Hastily, I created a pdf of the ad and printed it off for editing. I rushed into the dining hall, thrusting the ad upon three witless interns, trying to sound managerial as I begged them, in desperation, to proofread the piece for me.

As I rushed to submit the ad before the weekend, somewhere across the office, someone was putting time and thought into making my day a little happier.

I submitted the ad for publication, and while I was submitting, someone else was someone else was sticking an awkwardly wrapped gift, complete with big, red bow, in my office mailbox.

I present you (pun fully intended, because I'm witty like that) with Evidence A, "The Gift":


Standing at my desk, taking in the boyish wrap-job and Christmas colors, a smile spread across my previously grimacing face. Someone cared enough to wrap up some little something for me.

I snapped this photo, and I proceeded to unwrap the package.

I slid the white box out from the shiny, striped paper, and I grinned goofily as I opened it up.

Inside, this is what I found. Observe Evidence B, "the Empty Box":


Nothing.

I have been the target of an intra-office practical joke. I'm sorta flattered.

2 comments:

patti j. said...

I have figured it out! Someone wants you to fill this empty, gift wrapped box with homemade cupcakes and bring it back to work on Monday! Think?

DFactor said...

Do you watch Metalocalypse? That reminded me of the episode when it was Murderface's birthday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A8nRuqAaT0