Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Final Seventy-Two

I'm counting my time in Brooklyn down by the hours now. 
 
At T-Minus 72 Hours...
I was touched by my coworker Kate's toast to me during the office farewell party. We sipped Yellow Tail Shiraz and Merlot, and I was given more hugs, compliments, thanks, and well-wishes than I can count or than I deserve. 

I moved the last of my files onto the shared servers, double-checked that I hadn't left anything
behind in desk drawers, and send a farewell email to our staff. 

I switched off my overhead light, handed in my key, and walked out of my office at the Garden into the cold winter air for the last time.

At T-Minus 67 Hours...
I walked up Flatbush Avenue towards Flatbush Farm, where I was meeting friends for more send-off celebrations. 

Flatbush Farm was the bar of choice in part for its low-key and spacious interior, but also for the play on words. I'm leaving Brooklyn for Farmington, MO, after all.

Imbibement and celebration carried us into the 65th hour...
At which time we migrated to Union Hall, Park Slope's hipster bar. 

Johanna, Melissa and Meghan en route to Union Hall, 2/20/09
Photo by Big Mike
 
Union Hall's warm lighting, leather chairs, and bookshelf-lined walls welcomed us. We had a few drinks and made our way to the downstairs music venue where someone was celebrating their birthday with karaoke. 

At T-Minus 62 Hours...
The 'Staches closed the joint down, and headed for the deli for some late night sustenance.

The 'Staches, 2/20/2009
Photo by the Barkeep

And speaking of 'Staches, check out his mustache!
The Bartender, 2/20/2009
Photo by Big Mike

T-Minus 61 Hours...
Found us at the apartment of three of our teammates, eating and talking until the sun came up.


T-Minus 58 Hours...
(i.e. 8:30 a.m.) Found me walking home under a sunshine-filled Saturday morning sky, most of my teammates asleep on either beds, couches, or floor space at the apartment. Goodbyes are so much easier when I can slip out the front door without many people noticing.

T-Minus 48 Hours...
I'm still awake, and have been now for somehwere around thrity-six hours. My apartment is mostly packed...

I've said goodbye to almost everyone I need to say goodbye to, and I'm going to go have tea with my coworker and Friend, Kat, before coming back home to go to bed.

My Dad will arrive tomorrow at around noon with the moving fan and a bear hug. Stay tuned for the my story of our father-daughter cross-country trek. 

No comments: