Sunday, March 22, 2009

Thankful for One More Day

The morning sun was at my back as I drove North on Highway 8. I was hovering just below the speed limit as I approached the Potosi city limits.

There is no turning lane on the highway in that spot, so when I saw a car passing the pick-up, I realized that the truck was in my lane. I slammed on my brakes, gripping the steering wheel with my left hand and throwing my right hand to my horn. 

The grey and black Ford F-150 looked like a wall of steel standing before me as I braced for impact. 

The left front end of his truck struck my front driver's side. His truck scraped down the side of my car, and I watched the shoulder of the road move all too quickly beneath my tires.

I felt my car leave the road, then the shoulder of the road, and finally come to a stop nose-down in a six-foot ditch.

I put the car in park. By the time I got out and turned to look at the scene of the accident, the truck's driver was already halfway between his truck and my car, asking me if I was alright, and
apologizing.

Adrenaline pumping, my hands began to shake. Soon my arms and shoulders began to shiver and shake, too. 

By the time the police reports were written, the car was on a tow truck and I had arrived at the auto shop, I was sick to my stomach and exhausted.

My dad helped me with the phone calls and paperwork for insurance and a rental car, and then I worked a 7 hour day, leaving the office well after 9 p.m. 

I slept for 12 hours last night though, and spent today with a sadness in my stomach that I can't explain.

The sadness was there yesterday as well. I wished someone would hug me so that I could let the tears flow. Instead, I worked. Today I cleaned and unpacked more boxes, and only now, after midnight, in my bed alone, are a few tears falling.

I wasn't afraid. As I braced for impact, I felt at peace with whatever was about to happen.  

What a strange thing - to be aware of that sense of peace even as a Ford truck is pummeling the car you're driving. I think I resigned myself in that moment that I was prepared for whatever hand God was dealing me. 

I was a blessed woman to have landed in the cozy 6-foot ditch that I landed in (rather than in any number of 50+ foot drop-offs along that highway), and while I was at peace with whatever was going to happen, I am so, so thankful that I was given another day to wake up and live today. 

Smalltowngirl
Taken 3/14/09 in Potosi, MO

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only when you are a mom and hear about a near miss with one of your babies (yes, you are still our baby), will you ever understand our thankfulness that you were unharmed. And knowing that the young man that crossed your lane is someone's baby, we have to share that thankfulness with his parents as well. God was good to us all on Friday.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're OK! You must have lots of good guardian angels- that day chasing him around the pond has really paid off ;)

DFactor said...

I'm glad you're not dead. Did you feel angry, like you wanted to punch the guy in the eye?