Friday, March 20, 2009

Driving to Work in Week 3 = WRECK.

One of the questions I've gotten over and over about my move from NYC to MO is, "How are you enjoying driving everywhere?"

Another is, "How do you like your 42 mile commute?"

On a whole, I don't mind the commute or the driving. One thing that subway life taught me, however, was just how dangerous highways are. 

When I'd visit family in MO, I'd see people...

Eating and driving...
Talking on a cell phone and driving...
Talking on a cell phone, eating and driving...
Talking on the phone, smoking a cigarette and driving...
...sometimes while driving a stick shift...
Reading a driving...
Digging around in their floorboard and driving...

These multi-tasking drivers scare me. 

Why do they scare me? Because cars are big, heavy machines that go very, very fast. 

Today, I was driving my own big, strong, heavy machine (i.e. a Ford Taurus) to work when a younger driver in a much bigger, heavier, stronger machine (i.e. an early-1990s Ford F-150) made a lefthand turn on a state highway. 

Making a lefthand turn isn't inherently problematic. Making a lefthand turn into the lane in which I am driving, however, is very problematic.

I realized what was about to happen before it happened, honking and swerving to try to avoid being hit. To no avail.

His truck hit my car on the driver's side, and then pushed it into a fairly deep ditch, where the front end of my (relatively smaller), but still strong and heavy machine's front end saw further abuse by Missouri clay and rocks. 

Thank God no one was hurt, but Lordy people, please don't forget that driving is a responsibility, and that automobiles are dangerous. 




MO=0; NY=1

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you're okay, Melissa! Geez, that sure is scary. Driving IS one of the most dangerous things that we do. Take it easy this weekend - you deserve a margarita. Well, as long as you have a designated driver, that is...

Patti J said...

So glad you are safe, baby girl! What a frightening morning for you! We love you!

Anonymous said...

OY. I'm glad you're ok -- what the heck was wrong with the other driver? It takes two seconds to check the blind spot, people!

Tamar said...

Um... so I'm one of those people who eats a bowl of oatmeal while driving a stick shift with my knees (I hold the wheel with my knees and put the spoon down to shift in case you're wondering). I'm sorry. In my defense, I'm more alert during this time than all the other times I'm driving, and I am prepared to dump oatmeal on myself in the event of a potential accident. And I never LOOK at the food. You can take ALL of your attention away from the task at hand. You can drive safely to work knowing that I will not be on the road anywhere near you for at least 6 months :)